USE FOR: Primary Sharing Time, Family Home Evening, Come Follow Me, Young Women, Activity Days, Seminary, Sunday School
First Vision – Joseph Smith’s Answered Prayer
OBJECTIVE: Use these large visuals to Post-and-Present to help youth tell the story and testify that Joseph Smith saw Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. This First Vision story can be displayed visual-by-visual as you discuss how Heavenly Father answers our sincere prayers. It all started when Joseph, a boy of 12 had the courage after reading James 1:5 to ask God which church was true.
TO MAKE: Print and cut out the story images and prepare to mount them on the board or poster board with tape or magnets. Laminate for durability. NOTE: The smaller stand-up visuals (shown below) are found in the ACTIVITY DAYS First Vision activity.
TO PRESENT: Make this presentation telling the story from the scriptures. See Joseph Smith—History 1:1-20.
A smaller version of this same storyboard is found on GospelGrabBag.com under Activity Days Learning and Living the Gospel Goal 2.
INCLUDED IN THE $3.50 DOWNLOAD is the following, or it can be downloaded separately below or GO HERE.
SCRIPTURE POSTER & CARDS:
Joseph Smith–History 1:17
• See VIDEO: The Restoration: Joseph Smith’s search for truth led to the First Vision and the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
• See VIDEO: The Message of the Restoration: “We declare to the world that the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth.” —Elder L. Tom Perry: The Message of the Restoration (2:22)
• See VIDEO: Chapter 2: Joseph Smith’s First Vision (1820) Joseph prays to know which church to join. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appear to him and tell him that none of the churches are true.
• See First Vision –First Vision – Joseph Smith History 1:17 SCRIPTURE POSTER and more ideas on SUBJECT: The FIRST VISION
Visit lds.org to view the story
The Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
– Joseph Smith: A Prophet of God – When Joseph Smith was 14 years old, he wanted to know which church he should join, so he asked God in sincere prayer. In response to this prayer, God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, appeared to Joseph and told him the true Church of Jesus Christ was not on the earth and They had chosen Joseph to restore it.
Which Church Is Right?
During this time of great excitement my mind was called up to serious reflection and great uneasiness. … I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it? GO HERE TO READ MORE
Joseph Smith’s First Vision
In accordance with this, my determination to ask of God, I retired to the woods to make the attempt. It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring of eighteen hundred and twenty. It was the first time in my life that I had made such an attempt, for amidst all my anxieties I had never as yet made the attempt to pray vocally. GO HERE TO READ MORE