Use for Young Women, Young Men, or Youth, Family Home Evening, Primary Sharing Time, or Activity Days
ACTIVITY: Plan of Salvation CHOICES (Divine Destiny Decisions)
OBJECTIVE: Help youth learn of Heavenly Father’s plan of happiness and how their choices affect their divine destiny. Use this activity as a basic sharing time board to talk about decisions that affect our destiny.
EXAMPLE: The Fall was part of God’s plan for us to experience mortality. Talk about how the Fall was a blessing so that we can come to earth to gain a body and prove we can be strong, to prepare to live in God’s presence again. Recite the Articles of Faith 1:2.
See More Ideas #1-4 below.
1. Print/copy, color, and cut out the Plan of Salvation images and cards.
3. Cut out a plastic image of boy and girl using heavy plastic (see #2 below). String a clothesline, then punch and attach images.
• Divide cards into two containers: (1) premortal life, earth life, and life-after death cards, and (2) three kingdoms of glory cards.
• Display Option (shown): Place images on string by taping cut straws on back of images, then threading string or fishing line through the straws. Place wordstrips between spheres, e.g. mortal birth, mortal death, etc.
1. Ask children, “Do you ever wonder: ‘Where did I come from?’ ‘Why am I here on earth?’ and ‘Where am I going?’” Post all images (except cards) as shown. Talk about each stage of Heavenly Father’s plan (see Summary of Plan of Salvation that follows). Move plastic spirits and girl and boy images as you discuss each sphere of existence. One idea is to push all four worlds to the far right, then move each to the left as you explain it. Show plastic spirit in premortal life and spirit world, and spirit with the body in earth life and the three degrees of glory.
2. Have children take turns drawing cards from container #1 and posting cards below one of these spheres: premortal life, earth life, or life after death.
3. Talk about the Millennium, when Jesus will reign for 1,000 years and Satan will not be able to tempt us. Then discuss the Judgment, where we will be judged according to our actions in this life. Read D&C 43:29—“For in mine own due time will I come upon the earth in judgment, and my people shall be redeemed and shall reign with me on earth.”
Summary of Plan of Salvation
- Premortal Life. Ask children to tell you about the place called heaven. Say, “While we were in heaven we made certain choices that allowed us to come to earth. We will learn about these choices.”
- Earth Life. Ask children to tell you about the earth, where we now live. Say, “We came to earth for a purpose. We will learn about the importance of our choices here.”
- Life after Death. Ask children to tell you about the spirit world. Say, “When we go to the spirit world, we do certain things while we wait to be resurrected. We will learn about these activities.”
- Three Degrees of Glory.
• Read John 14:2—“In my father’s house are many mansions.” Tell children, “Heavenly Father has a place for all of His children to live after we are resurrected.” Then read D&C 76:111—“For they shall be judged according to their works, and every man shall receive according to his own works, his own dominion, in the mansions which are prepared.”
• Post the celestial world (sun) and ask children to tell you about this kingdom. Say, “Each one of us is a child of God; we are of noble birth. We began in heaven as princes and princesses with Heavenly Father, the Father of our spirits. He wants us to return to Him again and inherit the highest kingdom, the celestial kingdom. Many wonderful things will happen there.”
• Post the other two kingdoms (moon and star) and ask children to tell you about them. Say, “There are two other kingdoms lower than the celestial, where other children of God will go.”
• Say, “The mansion or kingdom we inherit depends on the depth of our testimony of Jesus Christ and how we keep God’s commandments. Heavenly Father rewards us according to our deeds while we live on this earth.”
- Outer Darkness. For older children only, say, “Those who came to earth and received a body, but still chose to follow Satan, will not receive a kingdom of glory, but will be cast out into outer darkness (hell) to live with Satan forever” (see D&C 76:28-35, 44-48). Also read Alma 40:13. These people had testimonies of Jesus Christ through the Holy Ghost and knew the power of the Lord, but allowed Satan to overcome them. They denied truth and defied the power of the Lord. These people denied the Holy Spirit after receiving it, so there is no forgiveness for them. They will live with Satan and his angels, in darkness and torment forever (see D&C 76:28-35, 44-48; Gospel Principles, 298).
- Answers: The number at the bottom of each card indicates where the card belongs.
1 = Premortal Life,
2 = Earth Life,
3 = Life after Death,
4 = Celestial Kingdom (sun),
5 = Terrestrial Kingdom (moon), and
6 = Telestial Kingdom (star).
THOUGHT TREAT: Cookie Map – Plan of Salvation. Help youth visualize the plan and the kingdom they want to map out for themselves. Using watercolor various colors mixed with canned milk, paint on a sugar cookie cut out map style their plan. Then bake cookies 8-10 minutes at 370. Talk about each person’s design as they explain ways they will get there and choices they need to make to find their treasure–living with Heavenly Father and Jesus again.
USE ACTIVITY FOR PRIMARY SHARING TIME
More Lesson Ideas
Teach the theme using the concepts below and the above activity.
• I am a child of God. I lived with Him in the premortal world. I am created in His image
(Moses 2:26; D&C 76:24; Gospel Principles, chapter 2; Primary 1, lesson 1; Preach My Gospel, 48-49).
• I learned of and accepted Heavenly Father’s plan. I have a divine destiny. (D&C 138:55-56; Abraham 3:24-27; The Family: A Proclamation to the World, paragraph 3; Primary 6, lesson 1; Gospel Principles, chapters 2-3; “Plan of Salvation,” True to the Faith, 115-17).
• Premortal Life: (I lived with Heavenly Father as a spirit child. He presented His plan—the plan of salvation. I choose to follow His plan.) Sing one verse of “I Lived in Heaven” (Children’s Songbook, 4).
• Earth Life. (I came to a family and received a body. Earth life is a time for learning, choosing, and preparing for eternal life.) Sing verse two of “I Lived in Heaven.” Explain Jesus Christ’s role in the plan of salvation.
• Life after Death. (I will be resurrected. Because of Jesus Christ’s Atonement, if I live righteously I will be able to live with Heavenly Father again.) Sing verse three of “I Lived in Heaven” (Children’s Songbook, p. 4)
• Heavenly Father gave me agency. I chose to follow His plan. (2 Nephi 10:23; Helaman 14:30-31; “Agency,”True to the Faith, 12; Primary 3, lesson 2; Preach My Gospel, 49-50; Gospel Principles, chapter 4)
• As part of the plan, Jesus created this world for all of God’s children. Adam and Eve were our first parents (Genesis 1-2; Moses 2-3; Gospel Principles, chapters 5-6; “Creation,” True to the Faith, 44-45; Primary 6, lessons 3 and 4).
• Moses 1:39 “For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.”
• Articles of Faith 1:9 “We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.”
Teach songs using visuals (to DOWNLOAD):
• I Lived in Heaven (CS, 4)
• I Will Follow God’s Plan (CS, 164)
• My Heavenly Father Loves Me (CS, 228)
More Learning Activities:
Go to the A-Z Index to find these subjects: Missionary Work – Come Unto Christ
FOR MORE SCRIPTURE POSTER ACTIVITIES like this one, access the Scripture Posters menu above or
To download all YOUTH activities go to:
To download all FAMILY HOME EVENING activities go to:
To download all ACTIVITY DAYS activities go to:
To download all SINGING FUN song visuals and activities go to:
– Visuals were created by Jennette Guymon-King, Illustrator
– Activities were written by Mary H. Ross, Author
More Learning Activities:
… Those who have a knowledge of God the Father, Jesus Christ, the purpose
of life, the plan of salvation, and their eternal potential are saved from …
… The Godhead and the Plan of Salvation. April 2017 General Conference. …
“Essential to the plan [of salvation] is our Savior, Jesus Christ. …
… The Plan of Salvation. Chapter, Title, Page, Listen, Download. Entire Manual.
What Is the Plan of Salvation? 2–17, Where Did I Come From? …
… Overview; January: The Godhead; February: The Plan of Salvation; March:
The Atonement of Jesus Christ; … February: The Plan of Salvation. …
… February: The Plan of Salvation. “This … Understanding the plan of
salvation is fundamental to spiritual learning. Everything …
Heavenly Father’s plan of salvation is compared to a three-act play, showing
that knowledge of the plan helps us in our everyday lives. …
… Plan of Salvation. True to the Faith, (2004), 115–17. 36863_000_110
In … The plan of salvation is the fulness of the gospel. It …
… Children; Plan of Salvation/Plan of Happiness. Plan of Salvation / Plan of
Happiness. … Includes illustrations of the plan of salvation. …
… Lesson 19: The Plan of Salvation. Previous; Next. Lesson 19: The Plan of
Salvation. … 1. The plan of salvation is “one of heaven’s best gifts to mankind. …
… Answering Questions about the Plan of Salvation. … Sunday School in particular
will focus on how you can teach the plan of salvation. …
… Cards for Sunday: Plan of Salvation. 2; 80; Print; Share: Email; Twitter; Facebook;
Pinterest. Save and share these cards about the Plan of Salvation. …
… Ordinances; Plan of salvation; Prayer; Priesthood authority; Priesthood
blessings; … Temples; Worthiness; Young Women. Plan of salvation. …
… Lesson 2: The Plan of Salvation. Preach My Gospel: A Guide to Missionary
Service, (2004), 47–59. 36617_000_003-2. … John 17:3. Plan of Salvation. …
Teaching Youth about the Plan of Salvation. … Young Men. Understanding the
plan of salvation will help young men live with greater purpose. …
… Previous; Next. Chapter 3: The Plan of Salvation. … 1. In the premortal spirit world,
we rejoiced to learn of Heavenly Father’s plan of salvation. …
Home: lds.org; Music. Music Library; Search. Search Results. Results
for “Plan of Salvation” (56). previous; play; pause; next. …
Previous; Next. Come, Follow Me: The Plan of Salvation. … Quorum of the Twelve
Apostles. October 2016 general conference. The Plan of Salvation. …
… Teachings: Joseph Smith; Chapter 17: The Great Plan of Salvation.
Previous; Next. Chapter 17: The Great Plan of Salvation. …