Use for Young Women, Young Men, Seminary/Institute, Family Home Evening, Primary Sharing Time, Activity Days
ACTIVITY: Honorable Family (Food Storage Match)
YOUTH can teach this lesson to children.
Objective: Help children ponder family situations that invite honoring and obeying parents or showing respect for others and doing as Jesus would do.
- Tell children/youth Jesus honored His mother, Mary. When He was about to die on the cross, He still thought of His mother, asking John to take care of her (see John 19:25-27). We need to love and care for our families. President Gordon B. Hinckley tells us to “love each other, respect each other, to treat each other with love, kindness, and respect” (Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley, 25).
- Place the Honorable Family Food Storage sign on the poster and say, “Let’s learn about ways we can honor our family. If you were an item in your food storage, what would you be and what would you do to honor your family? What can we do to make a happy home?”
- Demonstrate by placing the first food-storage item in the cupboard/poster. Show and read one of the match cards, putting it together by placing the left half of the cards (e.g., “Tommy Tomato helped his brother study . . .”) on the left side of the board and placing the right half of the cards (e.g., “and catch up on his homework”) on the right side of the board.
- Place all the items with the top half on the left of the board and all items with the bottom half on the right. Ask children to match and fill the cupboard with honorable actions that will make your family happy.
- Read each one aloud and talk about each action (and others children/youth want to share) that helps show honor and respect to your family, so you can do as Jesus would do.
Print, color, and cut out the food storage and cupboard that follow, and cut cards in half where indicated. Laminate for durability. Laminate one or two posters to mount cupboard and cards on. Place double-stick tape on visuals to mount on posters.
TESTIMONY SHARING: Ask children/youth to share their testimony on the following. Ideas: How can I strengthen my family? “Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful … families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 129 – see SCRIPTURE POSTER below*). As we assist our parents in accomplishing these goals, we can help our families attain the happiness Heavenly Father wants for us.
THOUGHT TREAT: Food Storage Snacks/Stew. Have youth (telling parents ahead of time) to bring an item from their food storage they wish to share. Place these items in a table and have children come up after and pass out their treat to everyone, providing a plastic or paper bag/sack to take goodies home.
More Learning Activities:
• A Happy Family (CS, 198)
• The Family Is of God (Friend, Oct. 2008) shown
• Families Can Be Together Forever (CS, 188)
• Home (CS, 192)
•Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth (Hymnal, 298)
See A-Z INDEX (on the above menu to find activities on Subjects: FAMILY LOVE
YOUTH TESTIMONY SHARING: Ask youth to share their testimony on the lesson subjects below. Click on the QUESTION* next to “Come, Follow Me” Lesson to lead you into a discussion or the sharing of testimonies.
USE IN AUGUST:
August: “Marriage and Family”
“Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and … the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 129).
*QUESTION “Come Follow Me” Lesson: How can I strengthen my family?
To download all YOUTH activities go to:
To download all FAMILY HOME EVENING activities go to:
To download all ACTIVITY DAYS activities go to:
To download all SINGING FUN song visuals and activities go to: