Use for Young Women, Young Men, Seminary, Family Home Evening, Primary Sharing Time or Activity Days
ACTIVITY: A Loving or Lazy Leader word find
To Do Word Find:
1. Locate the qualities of a loving leader or a lazy leader scattered throughout the puzzle.
2. Circle the good leader qualities and cross out the lazy leader qualities when you find them.
Words can be read from left to right or backwards right to left. The x’s indicate blank spaces. Option: Instead of circling or crossing out qualities, highlight the loving leader in one color and the lazy leader in another color.
Game Idea: Have youth divide into two teams to compete doing the word find. The first team to finish wins! Give an extra treat to the winning team.
Answers from top to bottom:
Loving Leader: sharing, prepared, prompt, organized, happy, teaches, considerate, calm, sensitive, understanding, concerned, kind, caring, plans, trustworthy, example, listens, forgiving.
Lazy Leader: grumpy, late, idle, insensitive, rude, gossips, tactless, unprepared, forgetful, bossy, neglectful, unorganized, selfish, offensive.
TO MAKE: Print activity in color or black and white.
TESTIMONY SHARING: See QUESTIONS* below.
THOUGHT TREAT: Leader Licorice. Give each youth five strands of string licorice (available at Walmart) and have them tie the strands together. Ask them to think if five leadership qualities they want to acquire. Have youth attach/tie their strings together to stretch across the room. Then have each share their five qualities. Then detach their five strands of licorice for each youth to eat.
Note: Have someone record the LEADERSHIP QUALITIES to type up and share later.
More Learning Activities:
SMOOTH COMMUNICATION SHOW-AND-TELL:
1. Divide youth into several small groups to create a skit. Do some play acting showing various ways of communicating the wrong way (e.g., someone talking and laughing loudly and inappropriately, gossiping, etc.). After a half hour have each group put on their show.
2. Talk about people you know who are patient, soft-spoken, brief, considerate, etc.
3. Have a communications expert come and discuss proper ways of behavior in crowds, one-one-one, small groups, with parents, friends, and brothers and sisters.
4. Read Proverbs 15:1: “A soft answer turneth away wrath.” Also Psalm 55:21: “His words were softer than oil.”
5. Tell the story of a favorite kindergarten teacher who practically whispered to the children. She never had to speak loud to be heard. They listened intently to every word. When the children asked her to do something they could do for themselves, she simply said, “I’m not your coat hanger.” They knew that they must be responsible, even at the early age of five.
MEMORIZE SCRIPTURE: Jesus Guides Us Back to Heaven – John 14:6 scripture poster TO DOWNLOAD
VIDEO: Activity Day Rescuers – Video segment shown during Primary Leadership Training broadcast. (5:24) CLICK HERE TO VIEW VIDEO FROM YOUR I-PHONE.
VIDEO: Opportunities to Do Good (4:01) – Mormon Messages – One family’s trial becomes a shared blessing for many who serve, love, and bear each other’s burdens.
SING songs using the song visuals to DOWNLOAD:
• I Will Follow God’s Plan (Children’s Songbook, 164)
• Nephi’s Courage (Children’s Songbook, 120)
See A-Z INDEX (on the above menu to find activities on subjects: EDUCATION, FAMILY, GOALS, SERVICE, TALENTS, WORK).
Great Church Videos to Share:
YOUTH TESTIMONY SHARING: Ask youth to share their testimony on the lesson subjects below. Click on the QUESTION* next to “Come, Follow Me” Lesson to lead you into a discussion or the sharing of testimonies.
“Consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God” (Mosiah 2:41).
*QUESTION “Come Follow Me” Lesson: How do the things I say affect me and those around me?
To download all YOUTH activities go to:
To download all FAMILY HOME EVENING activities go to:
To download all ACTIVITY DAYS activities go to:
To download all SINGING FUN song visuals and activities go to:
Quote to Ponder: “Though we may disagree, we should not be disagreeable.” —Elder Dallin H. Oaks