Use for Young Women, Young Men, Seminary/Institute, Family Home Evening, Primary Sharing Time, Activity Days
ACTIVITY: Prophets Tell How to Strengthen My Family picnic Post-and-Present
Tell youth or children, “The prophets can help strengthen our families. Let’s have a picnic to learn what the prophets from the Bible, Book of Mormon, and the prophets in the latter days have said to make our family strong and happy.”
1. Mount on the board the “Following the Prophet Strengthens My Family” sign in the center of the board or wall and talk about it.
2. Have four children come up, read, and post the four large signs (melon, corn, cake, and sandwich) as shown right on the board, e.g., post the melon sign: “You’re family is one in a melon (million) so treat them right.”
3. Divide the matching pieces in half and place on the wall or side of the board faceup with double-stick tape.
4. Have children take turns coming up and choosing a match to the prophet’s message. When a match is made, read it aloud and post it under the matching food sign. Talk about each and how it can make family life happy.
TO MAKE: Print activity in color or black and white. Mount visuals on a poster board as shown. Laminate images and the poster, mounting with double-stick tape.
THOUGHT TREAT: Extended Family Picnic. Invite someone to your home who is in your family or a lonely neighbor who needs a family to your family picnic. Be sure to serve items found on the activity above and present this activity at the picnic.
TESTIMONY SHARING: “Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful … families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 129). As we assist our parents in accomplishing these goals, we can help our families attain the happiness Heavenly Father wants for us.
More Learning Activities:
• FAMILY LIFE CAN BE A PICNIC tent card
VIDEO: At the Movies – A husband and wife, separated by their children, can still touch hands in a movie theater. (1:04) CLICK HERE TO VIEW VIDEO FROM YOUR I-PHONE.
VIDEO: The Abrahamic Covenant – (Genesis 12:1-3; Abraham 2:9-11) One family shows love and service to another less fortunate family. (7:16) CLICK HERE TO VIEW VIDEO FROM YOUR I-PHONE.
YOUTH TESTIMONY SHARING: Ask youth to share their testimony on the lesson subjects below. Click on the QUESTION* next to “Come, Follow Me” Lesson to lead you into a discussion or the sharing of testimonies.
USE IN JUNE AND AUGUST:
June: “Ordinances and Covenants”
“The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth” (D&C 65:2).
*QUESTION “Come, Follow Me” Lesson: What does it mean to sustain my church leaders? (Honor and uphold priesthood)
August: “Marriage and Family”
“Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and … the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 129).
*QUESTION “Come Follow Me” Lesson: How can I strengthen my family?
To download all YOUTH activities go to:
To download all FAMILY HOME EVENING activities go to:
To download all ACTIVITY DAYS activities go to:
To download all SINGING FUN song visuals and activities go to: