Learning and Living the Gospel – Goal 3
Theme: The Holy Ghost Will Help Me
Throughout My Life
12 pages (color/black-and-white visuals, instructions)
Subject: Holy Ghost
USE FOR Faith in God Activity Days Activity or Family Home Evening
GOAL 3 – Mark these verses about the Holy Ghost in your scriptures: John 14:16-17, 2 Nephi 32:5, and Moroni 10:5. Discuss ways the Holy Ghost helps you.
ACTIVITY DAYS Goal 3 Part 1: Mark these verses about the Holy Ghost in your scriptures: John 14:16-17, 2 Nephi 32:5, and Moroni 10:5.
Scripture Underling Guide and Pencil Pocket
To Make: Print, color, and cut out the Scripture Underlining Guide and Pencil Pocket. Fold and glue Guide edges, leaving the top open to create a pocket. Enclose a red pencil in the pocket. To Underline Scriptures: Use the Scripture Underlining Guide as a straight edge, placing it under the lines you wish to underline. Store the pencil in the pocket. Use pencil to underline scriptures about the Holy Ghost, or to underline other scriptures that inspire you to heed His promptings.
Discuss Reasons for Studying the Scriptures:
• The Savior stated, “Search the scriptures; … they are they which testify of me.” (John 5:39.)
• Sing the song “Scripture Power” (from October 1987 Friend magazine) and then talk to girls about how they can get “power” from reading the scriptures and how reading them increase our faith as you read Jacob 4:6-7.
• We can actually weaken our faith and power by not reading the scriptures. Talk about how Jesus said that, “Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God (Matthew 22:29).
THOUGHT TREAT: (“Free Mind of Clutter” Cookies). For each girl, frost a sugar cookie and top with “clutter” (dried fruit, chocolate chips, candies, and broken lifesavers). Next, frost a sugar cookie for each girl and decorate it with a simple frosting smiling face. Thought: As girls eat, remind them to keep their lives free from clutter (noisy music, too much television, and things that are not of value). This way we can make room in our minds and hearts so that the Holy Ghost can guide us. We can find happiness as we make life decisions that are eternal.
ACTIVITY DAYS Goal 3 Part 2: Discuss ways the Holy Ghost helps you.
Let the Spirit Guide
(Flashlight—Tag & Block—Toss Game)
To Make: Print, color, and cut out the Let the Spirit Guide circles, situation cards, and block. Fold block, stuff with cotton, and glue tabs to hold. You’ll need three flashlights (one for leader).
1. Divide players into two teams seated across from each other in a circle.
2. Place circles in the center and situation cards facedown. Have a player from each team be ready to shine their flashlight on the circle. Darken the room so you can see the flashlight’s beam on the circles. If the room is dark, have the leader use a flashlight to read the situation card.
3. Have teams take turns drawing a situation card and, without looking, hand it to the leader to read, e.g., “Abby was lost and didn’t know her way home.”
4. First play Flashlight Tag and then Block Toss as follows:
• Flashlight Tag: The player representing each team identifies one of the three circles: Comforts, Guides, Testifies of Truth by flashing their flashlight on the circle. The team player to identify the correct answer earns a point for their team. You will need another leader or girl as the referee (who knows the answer) to see which team flashes their light on the circle first. If there is any question, toss a coin (heads gets the point).
• Block Toss: The person who earns a point for their team can earn an extra point by tossing the block in the center. If it lands on the correct answer that was previously spotted, they earn an extra point for their team. Play until all the cards are read. The team with the most points wins!
THOUGHT TREAT (STOP and GO Cookies or Crackers). Write the words STOP and GO on two different frosted cookies or Crackers using frosting or processed cheese from the can. Thought: With each bite of the STOP cookies/crackers tell about a warning you have had or others have had (from the Holy Ghost) to stop doing something. With each bite of the GO cookies/crackers tell about a prompting from the Spirit to go and do something.
More Activity Day Activities:
• NEXT activity: Learning and Living the Gospel – Goal 4
• PREVIOUS activity: Learning and Living the Gospel – Goal 2
• TABLE OF CONTENTS: LEARNING AND LIVING THE GOSPEL – Goals 1-10
|Shop STORE for more Activity Days activities like this one, or access them from the ACTIVITY Days menu above.|