TO FIND LESSON: Present Lesson 17 – Primary 2 Manual – CTR-A: The Priesthood Helps Me.
OBJECTIVE: The lesson helps children understand how the priesthood can help us. Review the scripture story (p. 86) in the manual for which the following activity illustrates.
ACTIVITY: Calming the Seas Moving Ship Scene
Use the moving ship scene to talk about and remind children of the story in Mark 4:39 where Jesus calmed the storm. Tell children that Jesus helps and blesses us through the power of the priesthood. Hold onto the handle on the back of the scene with one hand and with the other, use the stick to move the boat back and forth. To simulate a rough sea, move the handle fast; to show a calm sea, move the handle slow.
Activity is available in the Sunday Savers CTR-A book or CD-ROM. Click HERE to purchase or visit your nearby LDS bookstore.
1. Print or copy, color, and cut out the ship scene, boat, and handle that follows.
2. Glue or tape the top half of a wooden craft stick to the back of the boat.
3. Cut a slit in the scene where indicated (in the water).
4. Place the boat in the scene by inserting the stick into the slit, allowing you to rock the boat back and forth.
5. Fan-fold the handle (shown on the pattern page) and glue or tape the handle to the back of the scene just above the slit; to hold onto the page with one hand as you move the boat with the other hand holding the bottom of the wooden craft stick.
THOUGHT TREAT (when appropriate): Banana Boat with Cheese Sails. Cut a banana in half crosswise and lengthwise and insert a slice of cheese with a toothpick for the sail. As you eat, talk about the story from Mark 4:35–41, showing the ship scene (above).
More Learning Activities:
• PRIESTHOOD POWER – TAKE HOME ACTIVITY (REPORT THIS WEEK): As the lesson details: Talk about the blessings that come from the priesthood by sharing with children the Priesthood Power Blessings Journal (shown right) that you can DOWNLOAD from this website. You can send children home with this two-page handout and the following note (and discuss their feelings next week in class or this week). Print handout in black and white or color (it is only $0.50 and you can print what you need for your entire class). Note for parent:
DEAR PARENTS: Have your child record/write their feelings about how the priesthood has or will bless their lives on these two inspirational journal pages. Ask them how they would feel if they had to go without one of these blessings; they each play an important role in our eternal salvation. Each blessing is part of Heavenly Father’s plan of happiness.
PLEASE HAVE THEM BRING THEIR JOURNALS NEXT WEEK TO SHOW AND TALK ABOUT THEIR FEELINGS WRITTEN ON THE PAGES.
VIDEO: Show the first few minutes of this Church video (0.33-2.20): “Finding Faith in Christ” to show Jesus calming the sea. (from Mormon.org)
MORE LESSON ACTIVITIES:
CLICK HERE FOR THE NEXT ACTIVITY: CTR-A LESSON 18 Prayers Are Answered in the Best Way.
CLICK HERE FOR THE PREVIOUS ACTIVITY: CTR-A LESSON 16 Jesus Christ Has the Power to heal.
CLICK HERE FOR THE CTR-A TABLE OF CONTENTS.
Embellishments for Photos in Slideshow of the clouds, water and waves were created from Memory Mixer software (memorymixer.com) Artist: Ettes and Co by Annette – Splash n Summer Emb